Friday, July 29, 2011

Summer Reading (Part 1)

I thought I'd take a moment and list some of the great books that I have been reading this summer. I listed in a prior post that my Kindle has been my constant companion since school has been out. It's so easy to carry around and is convenient for travel. Another one of its pluses is that I can easily go back and look at everything I have read. Here are the books in order from June:

1. The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins



I've already gushed about these books here, but I cannot get them off my mind! They are soooo good, and I literally went into withdrawals when I finished reading them. Even though they are classified as young adult, they appeal to everyone. After I finished the novels I saw the Entertainment Weekly edition that gave details about the movie that is currently being filmed in North Carolina :) It seems like they have done a pretty good job with the cast...I think that Jennifer Lawrence looks like the Katniss I imagined. Please, please Hollywood, Don't mess this up!! (fingers crossed)



This week's EW features the characters of Peeta and Gale...I'm not quite sure if they look like I had imagined them, but that's only because I'm not familiar with the actors (Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth) that were cast in the roles....I am keeping an open mind though!




2. The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters



This book has been on my list ever since I saw that Stephen King rated it his favorite book of 2009 in Entertainment Weekly (yes, I keep a running list of books that I want to read that goes wayyyyy back in time!)

He described it as "a terrifying, engrossing ghost story set in the English countryside not long after World War II, but it's so much more. Although told in straightforward prose, this is a deeply textured and thoughtful piece of work. Several sleepless nights are guaranteed."

With praise like this, who would not want to read it? Overall, I really enjoyed the novel, especially the surprise (though somewhat vague) ending. I really enjoy novels set in England, especially around this time period. My only caution would be is that it is more "literature" than simply 'light entertainment." I am not trying to sound like a book snob (though I somewhat am one), I'm just saying that it is not a book that someone can lose themselves in on the beach...Sarah Waters is a true master of words, and she captures the mood and atmosphere perfectly. I'm not sure that I would classify it as a ghost story though; maybe it would be better to call it a psychological novel...here is a review that sums up the book nicely.

3. Distant Shores by Kristin Hannah



After the serious nature of The Little Stranger, I decided to go light with my next book. I really enjoy Kristin Hannah, especially for light reading in the summer. I have read several of her novels prior to this so I knew what to expect (Magic Hour, Summer Island, On Mystic Lake, True Colors). This book was about a couple who had been married for many years and  hit a rough patch in their relationship. It shows how they got to that point and how they ultimately resolved their issues. It was an enjoyable quick read.

I put Kristin Hannah in the same category as Elin Hilderbrand. If you have not read either author, you should really check them out. Hilderbrand is an especially great beach read. A few of my favorites from her are The Island, Barefoot, and A Summer Affair.

More to come later....in the mean time I am still reading and loving American Wife...


post signature


1 comment:

  1. My girls have Kindles and constantly have them with them. I have read several books on it and do like it. I made the mistake and bought a nonfiction book on the Kindle and did not like having the book to hold in my hand and turn backwards and forward in. We have The Hunger Games series on our Amazon account. I will have to read it. My girls loved it.

    ReplyDelete