Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Farewell...

**Warning! Today's topic may be somewhat sentimental and mushy...therefore, if you are a male (particularly my husband who will ridicule me for days for this) you may want to tune back in at a later date....



Today marked the final Oprah Winfrey Show...I for one am very sad to see her leave. Not because I am one of her minions who worships the ground she glides upon [yes, those are Angelo's words verbatim], but because she has been a constant figure in my life for 25 years...Honestly, I didn't watch her in the very beginning--not many children or teenagers tune in willingly to watch her show. In fact, I'm not quite sure when I dd start watching her on a regular basis. I know that it was sometime after I was newly married and had Stephanie. Everyday at 4:00 I would turn to channel 11 to see what was on the agenda for the day. Often it didn't interest me and I would turn the channel. Other days, however, you couldn't tear me away. Her topics were fascinating ,and no one could interview a celebrity like Oprah. I subscribed to her magazine and read many of the books on her Book Club list. I stand by that list and still visit it often if I want to find something good to read. She offered inspirational advice that people across America needed to hear. I wonder if there is anyone that can take her place? With television filled with "celebrities" like those found on Jersey Shore, I highly doubt that there will be a suitable replacement anytime soon. I I guess that I, along with countless other Americans, will have to tune into the O Network to get our fix for the Queen of Daytime television. However, the four o'clock time slot will be awfully lonely without her....


Oprah with Logo

Favorite Book Club Selections: I've read many of her books, but I chose to list only those that stood out the most. Also, I didn't list any of the classics because you would naturally assume that they would be on there (I am an English teacher after all!)

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell
Tara Road by Maeve Binchy
White Oleander by Janet Finch
The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve
The Reader by Bernhard Schlink
Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts
I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb
She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment